Monday 1 September 2014

Experimenting With Mixed Media

Afternoon lovely crafty friends. Phew I haven't been on here for ages. Blogger lost all the blogs I follow for weeks and although they said they would return eventually of their own accord I felt completely adrift as I couldn't see what everyone was up too. Well last night, hurray, you all returned, where have you been?? I have missed you terribly.

Just to prove I haven't been craftless as well as friendless, I wanted to share with you a canvas I've been playing with.

I'm a big fan of Finnabair and have wanted to try her style for a long time but haven't really known where to start but after getting some inspiration from Pinterest I had a go.

I enjoyed rummaging through stuff I've had for years and actually using it, all those things that have gone out of fashion or you wonder why on earth you bought them, it was very good therapy.


I painted everything with black gesso and then had a compete panic that I'd completely ruined it



but once I started to apply acrylic paints, followed by some Luminarte silk paints and Glimmer mists followed by some gilding wax I was quite pleased. There are areas I don't like and things I would definitely do differently next time but it was a good learning exercise and ages since I've been able to play just for the sake of it. I must do it more.



Right I need to catch up with all the posts I've missed so hopefully I'll see you at a blog near you very soon.

Thanks for popping by and Happy Crafting.

9 comments:

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Ooooh Lisa -must admit, I was a tad surprised when I saw the first two pictures! What a relief when I saw picture #3 - it's fabulous! Love the colour combo. and the texture - isn't it great to create something beautiful "just because".
See you soon - Sylvia x

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is lovely and something I want to have go at myself….one day! I love your colour choice! Chrisx

Hettie said...

Well done you for taking the plunge! Way to go Girl! I have lots of bits that I keep meaning to have a go at but..you know how it goes!
Hugs
xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I'm loving this Lisa, especially as you have been able to use bits and pieces that were probably sitting unloved.
Thanks for sharing this and happy crafting, Angela x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

wow Lisa that is amazing transformation... what fun!!

and yes lost all my blogs for a while, some time back now.. makes you feel quite adrift doesn't it.. they came back in time, patience, they say!! :D
Shaz in oz.x

craftimamma said...

Wonderful take on Finn's style Lisa! It is quite a shock when you cover everything in gesso whether in black or white but the difference when you apply colour is amazing and the beauty of it is nothing has to co-ordinate initially.

A word of warning about the Luminarte Silks in case you don't know but I have discovered they are not light fast. I had a Lin Brown weekend 2 weeks ago with a group of Twitter friends and on the Sunday we plaayed with lots of different media on tags. One thing we used was the silks and when I came home I put mine in a pile on my craft desk which is in the conservatory and gets the sun all day. When I came to move them after a week two of them have definite borders across the bottom where the sun has bleached the colour so be careful your lovely canvas is not hung in sunlight. I have some of the silks because I loved using them so much at the Finn class I went to but the journal covers I used them on have not been exposed to light yet.

Glad you got your Blog list back eventually. It's amazing how lost you feel without it to refer to isn't it, lol.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

G Peplow said...

Hi Lisa, Lovely to see you over at mine :D This is fab, lovely result, bright and sunny colours too :D Blogger has been playing around with our lists, I guess they are planning another assault on us unsuspecting bloggers LOL Hugs Gay x

Jules said...

Hi Lisa

Wow!!!

How fabulous does this look!!!

Lovely to see the stages your work went through.

I even love the middle stage!

Hope I get chance to do something like this one day.

Have a good week.

Love Jules xx

sandra de said...

Great canvas and I have to admit to being a big Finnabair fan. I know that feeling of shock when you paint it all one colour and you know there is no going back. Great result.
sandra de