Sunday 16 May 2010

Beautiful Butterflies

Hi there lovely Bloggers. How's your weekend going. Good I hope.

I am pleased to say that everyone in the Craft Garden is now fit and healthy and normal service has been resumed, thank goodness.

I have just been drooling over the mountain of Tim Holtz goodies that Sir Stampalot are offering for their May challenge, "Blossom and Butterflies". If you are a fan of the master it is definitely worth checking out.


I thought I'd enter the Butterfly Boxes I made both our Mums for Mothers Day. Yes, I know I'm a bit late in showing you these. I saw these wonderful boxes on many of my cyber buddies blogs and they linked back to a wonderful blog, Magic Boxes and when I investigated I was hooked.

These first attempts are not very original I'm afraid. I loved the idea of Butterflies coming out as the box is opened but was learning on the job so I stuck very much to the tutorial given.


The sides were sprayed with a gold Starburst Stain and then edged with Faded Jeans DI and iridescent blue cosmic shimmer applied straight onto the ink to give a lovely shine. The stamps were from the Graphicus Wildflower plate and I used a colourbox pigment ink and clear embossed. Each side was matted with gold mirricard.

The Butterflies were also from Graphicus and painted with Sparkling H20's and the little flowers were from a QVC set. I coloured them and then cut down a petal and glued to give it some shape.


I really enjoyed making them although they took a long time and the Mums were thrilled with them. I loved their faces when they opened them and the butterflies popped out.

I've got lots of ideas now about different themes so I think you'll be seeing them again in a different guise in the near future!!

Thank you for stopping by and for all the lovely comments you have left us. I passed all your good wishes onto Freya. She will definitely be having a belated birthday in the next few weeks, we have a bowling date to keep!!

20 comments:

Lynne K said...

Hi, Lisa. This is just delightful! I love the soft colours of the box, against which the bright butterflies stand out perfectly. Hard to believe you hadn't made any of these before. Can't wait to see your next one!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend,

Lynne xx

Unknown said...

Wow Lisa this is stunning! I have made a few myself and although fiddly its fab to see the surprise in someones face as they take off the lid! Love the colours and stamps you have used and your butterflies are gorgeous x janet

The Stamp Man said...

Your box is beautiful Lisa, I bet mine wouldn't look as good for a first attempt! You've done a brilliant job with it.

I'm glad to hear you are all better now, I've never known a bug like it! It must have been so worrying with Freya being so poorly. Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of your boxes:)

Sally H said...

Oh my! What a stunning box! Absolutely gorgoeus colours and great choice of stamps too! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Sir Stampalot and Good Luck! I wouldn't have guessed it was your first either!

Sarah xx said...

Hi Lisa - that box is stunning and what a lovely surprise for someone who didn't know those lovely butterflies were inside. Gorgeous! Hugs xx

Unknown said...

Good to hear that everyone is now back to health.

That box is absolutely gorgeous - I love it!

Lynda said...

Oh Wow your box is stunning Lisa - the panels are gorgeous! Glad to hear everyone is better now - sigh of relief eh!

Love Lynda xxx

Zoechaos said...

Good to know all is well. Its now wonder the Mums loved their boxes this one is stunning.

brenda said...

Hi Lisa

So, normal service is resumed, so pleased all are feeling better.

What a stunnign piece of artwork at that, it's just adortable, the colours, the work all of it.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Stampalot Challenge this month and good luck.

B x

Jules said...

Hi Lisa

How amazing does this look!

I love those butterflies - they look real.

So pleased everyone is well again.

Love Jules xx

pinky said...

Stunning piece of work. Thanks for sharing at Sir Stampalot this month.
Pinky

Michelle said...

So completely, beautifully perfect Lisa. I love making these and they are a thrill to recieve but yes - a lot of work. Your's is just gorgeous. Glad you're all well
x Michelle

Kay Carley said...

What an absolutely stunning box Lisa. Am so pleased to hear that all is well in The Craft Garden again.

By the way I am really envious as I see from your previous post that you have got one of the LOTV fairies that I have got my eye on!!

Kay xx

craftimamma said...

You made a fabulous job of these boxes Lisa. I discovered the Magic Boxes blog quite a while ago but I still haven't managed to find time to make one of them. I will one day though and if it's half as lovely as your's I'll be well pleased.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Francesca said...

Fantastic box, love the pop up butterflies.
Thanks for Joining us at Sir Stampalot and good luck!
Hugs
Francesca

Lesley said...

Hi Lisa, your box is absolutely beautiful! I have taken a look at the blog you linked and bookmarked it - I have made the usual type of exploding boxes but would love to have a go at this one! Glad you are all well! xx

PinksyDoodles said...

Lisa, this is stunning. How wonderful to open a box and find it full of beautiful butterflies.
Thank you for joining us at Sir Stampalot this month.
Clare x

Tracy said...

Gorgeous creation, I love it! thanks for joining Sir Stampalot’s Challenge, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Beryl said...

Wonderful boxes. I bet the mums were thrilled when they opened them.
Beryl xx

Claire Phillips said...

Wonderful project Lisa - fabulous! I love the colours and the images you have used. Those butterflies lokk brill flying out of the lid! Cheers Claire x