Tuesday 30 March 2010

Back Crafting At Last

Thank you for all your lovely comments following the birth of my new Craft Room!! It is all finished now and I have been filling all the shelves and arranging and re arranging stuff! I don't seem to have as much as I thought I did now it's all tidy and in one place so I don't feel so guilty if I have the urge to add something. I will definitely share some photos with you when I'm happy I've finished getting it just right.

I needed something to sit on and during a visit to my Mum I asked her about an old stool she had. She said she didn't want it so I brought it home and gave it a crafty make over. It was pine originally and well worn from years of use so I sanded it down and painted it with the same emulsion I've used on the room. It took a couple of coats to get a nice surface and then I stamped on it with Graphite black Brilliance ink using various stamps including the Patchwork Butterfly from Graphicus, a Dawn Bibby flower and some Inkadinkadoo leaves for the sides and the legs. I found that using the stamps unmounted worked best as you can push them down more firmly onto the wood and bend them round the legs.


The top edges were aged with some Vintage Photo DI and then I coloured all the stamped images with watercolour pencils and went over with a water brush to get the colour into all the woodgrain. Stickles were added as a finishing touch and then my DH gave it a couple of coats of varnish to seal it all.


I really enjoyed myself and things kept getting added when suggestions were made by the rest of the family so it certainly ended up well decorated. I shall sit on it with pride!!

I've also just noticed that the Tuesday Taggers theme this week is Bugs and they have a lovely prize from The Craft Barn again. I know this is a bit bigger than a tag but I hope they won't mind if I sneak it in as my entry.

Thank you for stopping by and I hope your week is going well. I'm not sure what's happened to the Spring weather this week. Hopefully it will return for the Bank Holiday.

23 comments:

Always with a Sentiment said...

WOW Lisa. What a brilliant creation. I love how you have lovingly done that stool, just perfect. A brilliant work of art. Well done. Happy crafting in your new room.
Love Sandra xx

Debbie Dolphin said...

oh wow gorgeous lisa.its too nice to sit on!!!lol
Thankyou so much for your lovely comments you leave.ive been such a bad blogger too lately
love debbie xxx

Kay Carley said...

This is absolutely fantastic Lisa. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!! When I finally get my craft room up and running you've got to come round and do one for me!!!!!!

Hugs Kay xx

Artyjen said...

How fabulous! Can't wait to see your creative space :)
xoxo

mommabear said...

Lisa this is brilliant work it realy is to nice to sit on

Michelle said...

Mind Lisa? I love it!!!! What an awesome piece, your an inspiration girl! The stamping around the legs is amazing and I just love the top with your butterfies. What a fantastic job Lisa!
I could go on for hours, I'm just so impressed!
Thanks for joining in with your creepy crawly
x Michelle

Lynda said...

I never thought I would drool over a stool lol - it's stunning Lisa and do you know what is fantastic - I bought that butterfly stamp set at the NEC - can't wait to have a play now. Can't wait to see the finished room either!!

Love Lynda xxx

PinksyDoodles said...

Wow, Lisa, this is fantastic. A real work of art, you must be so proud of it.
Clare x

Unknown said...

wow lisa what a work of art! Love the whole thing - just spoken to Michelle who was still excited about seeing it so i had to come and look! Thanks for joining us at TT this week x Janet

Unknown said...

I love the way you've decorated the stool, so very pretty and will no doubt come in very useful in your new crafting space.

Jill said...

Really gorgeous stool Lisa. Great idea for recycling! Jill x

Sally H said...

Wow, wow, wow! I love it! What a fabulous creation! The butterflies are so beautiful - perfect for our challenge this week! Thansk so much for sharing with us at TT this week!

Sarah xx said...

Oh my word!! How fabulous is that stool? Who said you couldn't produce works of art - this is amazing and certainly not something I could ever do!!!
xxx

PatR said...

Wow what a fabulous stool and such an original idea for the TT challenge. Thanks for joining us this week and good luck.
Pat xx

Zoechaos said...

WOW awesome stunning fabulous. Yours must be the best lookin' stool in the land just wonderful. So glad you got back to craftin' and what an explosive return. Thank you for buggin' us at TT this week :)

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Hi Lisa
Love love love it - it's far too beautiful to sit on!!!! Hope you are enjoying your new craft room.
Love, Sylvia xxxx

Beryl said...

Wow - what an amzing makeover. It's fantastic. I hope it makes the ironing less of a chore.
Beryl xx

Carol said...

This is so pretty, what a lovely project, I bet you are pleased with the results, question - will you sit on it or look at it, lol.

Carol x

Teri said...

Fabulous project hun - love the butterflies!
Thanks for playing at Tuesday Taggers this week.
Hugs,
Teri x

Julie Ranae said...

This is a great project! Love what you created :)

Kathy said...

wow Lisa! doesn't that look wonderful! Can you bear to sit on it?

Anne Jagger said...

Lisa this is stunning! I love it, it's really clever and beautifully done. Love Anne x

Anne said...

Wow this is amazing - too good to sit on LOL